A downside to an independent (ie non-agency represented) journey is the research. Of course, agency or no agency, I would have been reading up on everything myself because that's just the type I am; but it would be nice to at least have someone to ask and provide a starting place.
This week has just been a TON of research for me. First things first, I've been on the hunt for a psychologist to do our psych exam. So far the closest has been about 2 hours away. None of the local ones really have a focus on what we're dealing with.
I've also been reading, reading, reading up on my birth options here in the QC. If we deliver in Illinois, which is currently my IPs preference, the hospital we'd have to travel to is almost 30 minutes away. I was able to track down their VBAC and cesarean states though and they are pretty good -- best in our area by far. I've also been reaching out to midwives (both home birth and hospital) and doulas here to see if they can recommend resources, doctors or facilities that would be a good fit for us. Most I'm still waiting to hear back from. One ran when I mentioned HBAC. Another responded that she attends birth, but illegally -- I can't imagine my on-the-fence IPs going for that!
More and more I'm loving the idea of having a doula present for the birth, but I'm just not sure how to approach it. It's not covered by insurance and I don't want to come off sounding greedy or demanding. At the same time, it's really important to me to have someone advocating for me, and I question whether the Hubby will be able to fill that role. With my IPs interest being fully on the wellness of the baby, I'd like to have someone who is there to support me and backup my decisions.
First things first -- I have to get cleared for pregnancy at my Oct. 7 appointment. As of yet, I haven't had a post-partum period so I'm skeptical whether he will actually condone that. Hopefully Aunt Flo makes an appearance prior so we don't get behind schedule.
Fingers crossed!

No comments:
Post a Comment